FSC members are expected to attend approximately seven FSC meetings each year and two faculty senate meetings, elect the chair of the FSC, and participate in the election of the Secretary of the FSC/Senate, review annually the reappointment of specified officers of academic administration, and participate in council activities as follows:
- At its discretion, communicate decisions to the senate.
- Respond to a petition signed by twenty-five members of the senate by calling a meeting to hear reports that the senate requires.
- At senate meetings, brief senate members on priorities of council.
- At its discretion, reappraise present university policies relating to matters of university-wide concern and to academic personnel. Make recommendations to one of the executive vice chancellors or vice chancellors.
- Request or respond to reports on matters of university-wide concern presented by one of the executive vice chancellors or vice chancellors, or other representatives. Provide support or statements of written disapproval.
- Consider proposals made by any member of the senate for amendments to the constitution, the by-laws of the senate, or the Policy on Academic Freedom, Responsibility, and Tenure, and report the council’s views on those proposals to the senate.
Chair of the Faculty Senate Council
- Set the agenda for each meeting of the Faculty Senate Council and Faculty Senate. Forward to secretary for distribution.
- Contact and schedule presenters for the Faculty Senate Council and Faculty Senate meetings.
- Give a report at each meeting of the Faculty Senate Council and Faculty Senate.
- Chair the Faculty Senate meetings, at the request of the Chancellor.
- Appoint subcommittees of the senate council as needed.
Secretary to the Faculty Senate Council (and Faculty Senate)
- Prepare agenda, set by the FSC Chair, for each meeting of the Faculty Senate and the Faculty Senate Council. Submit to administrator (Danforth office) for distribution.
- Take minutes for each meeting of the Faculty Senate and the Faculty Senate Council. Submit to administrator (Danforth office) for distribution.
- Assist chair with appointments for the various university committees: academic calendar; affirmative action, faculty and administration; Assembly Series; benefits; bookstore advisory; discrimination and Title IX grievance; library council; parking and traffic advisory; safety and security; sports and recreation; university judicial board; students with disabilities.
- In the spring, review terms of FSC members and prepare for upcoming elections.
- Present necrology at May Faculty Senate meeting. The administrator (Danforth office) will request this information from Human Resources.
- Manage process for the review of administrative officers.